How we enable sustainability for customers
Amazon has set ambitious goals to make our business more sustainable on behalf of customers. Part of our commitment to both sustainability and customers includes making it easier for everyone to participate in making a positive impact on the planet and society. If you want to join us in supporting local communities and reducing your environmental footprint, here are a few easy ways to get started.
Reducing, reusing and recycling
- On devices, look for the WEEE symbol, which denotes Electronic and Electrical Equipment eligible for takeback under the WEEE Directive. Amazon facilitates recycling of these items, ensuring that they are disposed of properly. You can check our website to find a recycling centre near you.
- Find open-box, pre-owned and refurbished products at a great price with Amazon Renewed, discounted deals on quality used products from Amazon Warehouse, and certified refurbished Amazon Devices.
- Find out how to recycle your Amazon packaging by visiting the Amazon Second Chance site.
Saving energy and water
- Amazon Home Services professionals can help keep your home appliances in good working condition. They can take care of heating furnace and water heater maintenance, or install a low-flow showerhead for you.
- To reduce home electricity use, search for LED lights, for example, or other products rated Energy Class A or higher on Amazon.
- Reduce the carbon emissions of your travel with help from Alexa Skills. For example, Evie Assistant can help you find the location of the nearest electric vehicle charging station (say “Alexa, open Evie Assistant”).
- Echo devices make it easier to save energy or water at home. You can use Alexa-enabled LEDs and smart plugs to turn off plugged appliances and devices when you aren’t using them.
Supporting charitable organisations and small businesses
- Shop with AmazonSmile and choose from over a million charities to support. AmazonSmile has donated more than $100 million to charities thanks to customers shopping at smile.amazon.com.
- Support artisans and women entrepreneurs. In Europe and North America, Amazon Handmade offers handcrafted artisan goods from around the world. In India, Amazon Saheli offers a wide selection of unique regional products by women entrepreneurs across clothing, accessories, office, home and kitchen.