Amazon sustainability policy positions
Increasing the deployment of renewable energy resources is valuable for the planet, good for business and important for our customers. As part of our sustainability efforts, Amazon advocates in support of public policy that advances access to and the expansion of clean energy. We will continue to promote policies that support renewable energy to power our operations. Since 2016, we have taken the following actions in support of promoting clean energy and addressing climate change.
- April 2016: Amazon joined Apple, Google and Microsoft in filing an amicus brief in support of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Power Plan.
- February 2017: Amazon offered support for a Virginia bill to create a new community solar law in the Commonwealth.
- June 2017: Amazon joined the We Are Still In coalition to express support for remaining in the Paris Climate Agreement.
- October 2017: Amazon authored a letter to the Ohio State Legislature in support of a bill that would reduce restrictions on the siting of wind energy projects in the state.
- October 2017: Amazon provided support for the regulatory approval of a green energy programme offering being created by the Florida electric utility that provides power to our facilities in the Jacksonville region.
- December 2017: Amazon wrote to the California Public Utilities Commission in support of an electric vehicle charging programme for the San Diego region.
- December 2017: Amazon urged the European Union Commission to establish a goal of 35 % renewable energy by 2030.
- September 2018: Amazon staff spoke at the Midwest Governor’s Association conference and highlighted our interest in access to renewable energy and the importance of states reducing barriers to renewable energy access.
- November 2018: Amazon authored a letter to the European Commission in support of the removal of regulatory barriers to corporate sourcing of renewable energy
- November 2018: Amazon signed on to a joint declaration calling for changes to European energy policy that would allow for easier access to renewable energy. The declaration sought to reduce barriers that hinder renewable energy trading and tracking across borders between European Union member countries.
- December 2018: Amazon wrote to the Georgia Public Service Commission advocating for a strong renewable energy offering from the Georgia electric utility.
- February 2019: Amazon spoke to the National Association of State Energy Officials about the importance of energy efficiency and renewable energy for our business operations, and to encourage states to help support the deployment of electric vehicles.
- May 2019: Amazon wrote to the Virginia State Corporation Commission advocating that more renewable energy and clean energy technologies be included in a long-term plan by Virginia’s largest electric utility.
- June 2019: Amazon signed a letter to the European Commission outlining the importance of corporate renewable energy procurement and advocating that National Energy and Climate Plans remove barriers to renewable energy purchasing.
- June 2019: Amazon supported legislation introduced in the United States Congress that would allow clean energy projects access to financing by forming master limited partnerships.
- August 2019: Amazon leadership spoke at the National Conference of State Legislatures Energy Summit and implored state legislators to accelerate the deployment of renewable energy across the United States.