The Climate Pledge Fund invests in companies across multiple industry sectors with an initial focus on:
- Circular Economy
- Energy Generation, Storage and Utilisation
- Food and Agriculture
- Manufacturing and Materials
- Renewable Energy Technology
- Transportation and Logistics
Climate Pledge Fund Investments
Amazon launched The Climate Pledge Fund in 2020 to support the development of sustainable and decarbonising technologies and services. This dedicated investment programme – with an initial 2 billion USD in funding – invests in visionary companies whose products and solutions will facilitate the transition to a low-carbon economy. Since launching The Climate Pledge Fund in 2020, Amazon has made investments in the following companies:
- BETA TechnologiesBETA Technologies is an electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (eVTOL) company that is building electric aircraft that can be used in cargo and logistics. Their first aircraft, the ALIA, is capable of flying cargo and logistics missions. Amazon is investing in a variety of companies that can advance our path to zero-emissions package delivery. Find out more.
- CarbonCure TechnologiesCarbonCure Technologies has commercialised lower carbon concrete. CarbonCure’s process works by injecting recycled carbon dioxide into fresh concrete during mixing, permanently sequestering carbon dioxide and enabling the reduction of cement content in mixes without impacting concrete performance. Amazon is working to lower the embodied carbon footprint of our buildings by using CarbonCure concrete in new construction, including in Amazon’s second headquarters in Virginia. Find out more.
- InfiniumInfinium is a renewable electrofuels solution provider that converts carbon dioxide and hydrogen feedstocks into net-zero carbon fuels for use in today’s air transport, marine freight and heavy truck fleets. Infinium electrofuels enable organisations to meet their carbon reduction goals by accelerating the transition away from fossil fuels. Amazon is investing in Infinium to support decarbonisation efforts in the transportation sector. Find out more.
- Ion EnergyIon Energy is a software developer based in Mumbai and Paris that provides advanced battery management solutions to owners and operators of battery fleets used in stationary and mobile applications. Ion Energy’s software and modelling tools provide a look into the state of life of those batteries, and improve the way batteries are charged and drained for maximum value. Amazon operates batteries across our operations and we believe energy storage will play an important role in achieving net-zero carbon.
- PachamaPachama is a climate technology company that is democratising access to nature-based carbon markets. Pachama’s technology harnesses satellite imaging with artificial intelligence to verify the impact of carbon capture in nature-based offset projects around the world. Amazon is investing in Pachama to expand the use of nature-based solutions for carbon sequestration. Find out more.
- Redwood MaterialsRedwood Materials is commercialising a full process and suite of technologies for recycling end-of-life lithium-ion batteries and e-waste into high value metals and chemicals. With Amazon’s commitment to electric delivery and electrification infrastructure, Redwood Materials has the potential to help Amazon properly recycle electric vehicle batteries and reuse their components. Redwood Materials can also help recycle the lithium batteries and e-waste from other parts of Amazon’s businesses. Find out more.
- RivianRivian is an electric vehicle maker and automotive technology company that develops and produces vehicles, products and services related to sustainable transportation. Amazon ordered 100,000 custom electric vehicles from Rivian in 2019, and has since participated in the company’s latest rounds of investment. With the proceeds from these investments, Rivian is further developing and integrating its connected electric platform with Amazon’s last mile delivery network. Find out more.
- Turntide TechnologiesTurntide Technologies develops efficient motor technologies that reduce the energy consumed by heating, ventilation and air conditioning in buildings. Amazon is piloting Turntide’s motors in a number of our buildings, significantly reducing electricity usage. Find out more.
- ZeroAviaZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, focused on developing hydrogen-electric aviation solutions that will progressively enable turbo-propeller aircraft to transport passenger or cargo payloads with zero carbon emissions. Amazon is investing in ZeroAvia to support decarbonisation efforts in the transportation sector. Find out more.
“The Climate Pledge Fund is another important example of how the collaborative effort of The Climate Pledge can accelerate the transition to a net-zero world.”
Former Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and Founding Partner of Global Optimism